Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
COVID 19: SETBACK & Looking Ahead
~ Julie Robbins-Baris
The Covid-19 pandemic has set us all back. As time
has gone on, we are left with questions about our
future, our country and our world. What can we do
right now as we wait for things to change? We will
undoubtedly have a re-set one of these weeks or
months but things may never be as they were pre-Covid. Let's consider what we can do now to tame the fear and anxiety that might hit us sometimes.
1) Imagine the best possible outcome. In spite of these restrictions, imagine what the best would be for you and set about making some steps to better your current situation;
2) Commit to feeling good and commit to feeling good every day. We cannot control what is happening around us but we can control how we perceive those things happening around us. Take just one day at a time and commit to feeling good that one day and it will get easier to do it again the next day;
3) Remind yourself that you are okay this day and this moment. Do not project into the future. Just focus on the one thing at hand for your day and the moments in your day;
4) Talk to your fear and take control of your mind. You have a choice right now when you have those moments. Just say stop it and turn those negative thoughts around. Choose new thoughts. Tell yourself that you are okay. Lean into the fear and breathe. Breathe deeply, breathe in and breathe out and tell yourself it will be okay;
5) Everyone needs love in their life. Love overcomes everything. Is there someone in your family or neighborhood that is alone? Keep an open mind and perhaps reach out and just say hello. You never know what this might mean to someone who is lonely and alone. And by giving, you will fill a void in your life that you may not realize that you even had. Covid-19 has forced so many of us to be home more. By reaching out, even with masks on and at a distance, this will make a valuable difference;
6) Improve yourself. Use this time to get smarter and read some books that you've put off reading. Perhaps consider bettering your eating habits, maybe turn off the TV earlier, exercise. You will feel better!
7) Do not look back at what was. Even with this Covid-19 situation, believe that things will get better. No regrets. Forward is where we are all going. Change always brings something good and sometimes, even better than before; and finally,
8) Every morning when you wake up, think of 3 things you are grateful for. Even if it is the roof over your head or your cup of coffee or the fact that it’s sunny outside, think of what you do have and not what you do not have. When you are grateful, you will feel lighter and happier inside and realize how far you have come. There will be more to be grateful for.