Contact us at: email@example.com
COVID-19 RESOURCES FOR NATIVE AMERICANS
Paula Raimondo, FMLA, AHIP, MLS
A New York Times analysis has found the rate of
known cases in the eight U.S. counties with the
largest populations of Native Americans is nearly
double the national average. These counties are
home to one in six U.S. residents who describe
themselves in census surveys as non-Hispanic
and American Indian or Alaska Native. (Native Americans Feel Devastated by the Virus Yet Overlooked in the Data, NYT, updated July 31, 2020.)
While the lack of good statistical data makes it difficult to fully respond to the needs of the Native American community, the following resources may be useful, and Coronavirus in Indian Country: Latest Case Counts, below, may help fill in the statistical gaps.
· ACF Native American COVID-19 Resources Administration for Native Americans
The ACF supports programs that are important for tribes and Native American communities as they respond to COVID-19. Examples of ACF programs include: Head Start and Early Head Start, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), child welfare, Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), and Social and Economic Development Strategies (SEDS). https://www.acf.hhs.gov/ana/news/acf-native-american-covid-19-resources
· Coronavirus (COVID-19) Indian Health Service
Contains data on COVID cases by IHS area, information about the federal response in Indian Country, hand sanitizer safety, and a variety of additional resources.
· Coronavirus in Indian Country: Latest Case Counts UCLA American Indian Studies Center
Sourced from publicly available data collected by Indian Country Today to address gaps regarding COVID-19 infections and deaths for American Indian reservations and Alaska Native villages.
· Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), Tribal Communities Plan, Prepare, and Respond Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Resources cover tribal community needs; tribal partnership with federal and state agencies; and prevention information
· Coronavirus Resource Center National Council of Urban Indian Health
A comprehensive list of resources, including news and events, information from the Food and Drug Administration, CDC, IHS, and other government sites. Includes fact sheets, research and data resources, and testing resources.
· COVID-19 Fact Sheets for Tribes and Urban Indian Communities Urban Indian Health Institute
Urban Indian Health Institute created multiple fact sheets about COVID-19 for tribes and urban Indian communities to help keep people informed about preventing the spread of the virus. Information for providers, employers, healthcare personnel, and urban native homeless services is included. Topics covered include living with HIV, information for high-risk individuals, and dogs on the reservation. Fact sheets can be customized with a logo and local health department information.
· COVID-19 Resource Center Native Americans in Philanthropy
The mission of Native Americans in Philanthropy is to promote equitable and effective philanthropy in Native communities. Search by resource type, regions, and issues.
· COVID-19 Resources National Resource Center on Native American Aging
Contains information on tribal elderly services in some U. S. states; resources from Harvard and Johns Hopkins Universities; other guides and resources for elders.
· COVID-19 Resources for Indian Country Center for Indian Country Development
Many tribal nations depend on industries heavily affected by the COVID-19 pandemic for revenue. The public response to the pandemic has resulted in several relief packages, including programs and funds available specifically to tribes and tribal enterprises. This site is meant to direct tribal governments and businesses owned by tribal members and tribally owned entities to grants, loans, and other resources to respond to the economic consequences of the coronavirus.
· COVID-19 Resources for Native Americans US Department of Housing & Urban Development
Includes housing-related block grants, letters to tribal leaders, and training on the CARES Act
· COVID-19 Response to Recovery: Tools & Resources to Take Action First Nations Development Institute
To support Native communities, First Nations has collected and reviewed the following tools and resources focusing on five key areas: Understanding COVID-19; Understanding the CARES Act; Emergency Funds: What’s Available and How to Access Funds; Perspectives from Indian Country; Keep Learning and Growing Together
· Indian Country Resources: Coronavirus COVID-19: Resources for Indian Country National Congress of American Indians
The National Congress of American Indians (NCAI) was designated as a clearinghouse of information on Coronavirus (COVID-19) for tribal, administrative, and legislative updates and resources. Includes information on the latest action around tribal funding priorities, current legislative funding packages, and information from NCAI, their partners, and federal agencies.